About Us » About St. Lucy's

About St. Lucy's

History
St. Lucy’s Priory High School is a private four-year secondary school for girls located at 655 W. Sierra Madre Avenue in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in Glendora, California. The school was opened in 1962 and was formally dedicated on February 2, 1964, by Cardinal James McIntyre. Continuous growth of the student body has necessitated several renovations and additions. The multipurpose gymnasium was completed in May of 1981 and additional classrooms were completed during the 1996 school year.
 
St. Lucy’s Priory High School is owned and operated by the Benedictine Sisters who established their priory in Glendora, California, in 1952. Since the founding of St. Lucy’s Priory High School, the staff of Benedictine Sisters and lay women and men continues to give dedicated service to the students.
 
Gifts
Order of St. Benedict
Benedictines were among the very first monastic communities in the Western World. St. Benedict founded the monastery of Monte Cassino outside of Rome in the sixth century. The communities that followed him and his twin sister, St. Scholastica, have always tried to answer the needs of the local areas in which they lived. Benedictines have been missionaries, teachers, farmers, librarians, and musicians, and have led lives of peace and prayer over the last fifteen hundred years. The communities came to the United States in the 1800s to serve the growing immigrant populations of this nation. They continue to minister in communities in order to serve the needs of the local people and the Church.
 
St. Lucy’s Priory High School is owned and operated by the Benedictine Sisters who established their priory in Glendora, California, in 1952. Since the founding of St. Lucy’s Priory High School, the staff of Benedictine Sisters and lay women and men continues to give dedicated service to the students.
 
Candles
School Patron
St. Lucy was an early Roman martyr who was killed for her convictions and her faith. The name “Lucy” comes from the Latin lux or lucis, which means light. St. Lucy was a young woman whose very name symbolizes the light of faith, of learning, and of knowledge. In the late 1940’s Mother Lucy Dooley of Mount St. Scholastic’s Convent in Atchison, Kansas, was asked by a community friend, Bishop Charles Buddy, to send sisters to the newly formed diocese of San Diego. In 1952 the community expanded north and worked in the schools of Baldwin Park, Covina, West Covina, Claremont, Azusa, and Glendora. The present priory was purchased in 1952 and named in honor of this woman who was known for her strength, courage, vision, kindness, and humor. St. Lucy’s Priory became independent in 1956.
 
Vision
St. Lucy’s Priory High School will utilize a rigorous curriculum within a nurturing environment to serve as a premier academic institution which educates and empowers young women to be faithful, principled, and compassionate members of society. As graduates of St. Lucy’s, our alumnae will continue to live out these values, making meaningful contributions to their families, their professions, and the world at large.
 
Mission
St. Lucy’s Priory High School, a private Roman Catholic college preparatory girls’ school, rooted in the values of St. Benedict, educates, equips, and empowers young women to develop their personal talents and to lead and serve a global society.
 
Philosophy
St. Lucy’s Priory High School is a private Roman Catholic college preparatory girls’ school. Founded by the Benedictine Sisters. The community grounded the school in its enduring traditions of work, worship, community, hospitality, stewardship, and peace. These values continue to guide decision-making and future planning for school governance, curriculum, student life, and resource management.
 
The faculty and staff teach and model the message of Jesus Christ as they uphold the beliefs and teachings of the Church. Students are invited to deepen and integrate their faith with their academic, psychological, physical, and social development. Parents and teachers are integral in the process which prepares graduates for success in higher education and the pursuit of lifelong growth. As a women’s school with a diverse student body, St. Lucy’s enjoys a unique opportunity to foster self-confidence and mutual respect, empowering graduates to contribute positively to the global society.
 
Motto
Convinced that the woman of today has a large spectrum of interests as well as power for good, St. Lucy’s Priory High School offers the motto Lux, Veritas, Pax – Light, Truth, Peace; knowing that in each person lies the fullness of truth in Christ.
 
School Crest

The school seal symbolizes the educational aims of the school. The open book, the classical symbol of institutions of learning, bears the school motto which expresses both the Benedictine heritage and the work of the teaching staff. The lion rampant represents the coat-of-arms of the noble Roman family of St. Benedict and St. Scholastica.

 

 
Alma Mater

Rolling hills, snow-capped mountains

Rustling palms, stately pines

Winding roads, noble buildings,

Alma mater, Lovely Light!

Light, truth, peace.

Shall ever be our motto.

Blue on blue.

Our pledge of loyal hearts.

Light, truth, peace,

O lovely Alma Mater.

Though we leave

We hold you in our hearts.

Alma Mater, we will return to you.

Alma Mater, Lovely Light!